The Essex County
BOARD OF ELECTIONS
Register To Vote
- a United States Citizen
- at least 18 years old by the next election
- a resident of your home county for 30 days before the election
You are not eligible to register to vote if you have been adjudged mentally incompetent.
Effective March 17, 2020, PL 2019, c. 270 deleted probation and parole as disqualifying an individual from registering to vote and voting. However, N.J.S.A. 19:4-1 has been amended to state that no person shall have the right of suffrage, “while serving a sentence of incarceration.” It is no longer a disqualification from the right to vote (or from registering to vote) because an individual is on probation or parole. And as has always been the case, an individual in jail/prison awaiting trial who has not been convicted, is still entitled to vote.
The Commissioners of Registration cannot accept faxed copies or an electronic transmission of a voter registration form, since an original signature is required.
The Voter Registration Form can also be used for name and address changes. Forms must be received 21 days prior to the next election to be able to vote in that election.
How to register:
- Download a Voter Registration Form – English, or pick one up in person in the Commissioner of Registration’s Office or from your local, municipal clerk, or from a Motor Vehicle Agency office
- Download a Voter Registration Form – Spanish, or pick one up in person in the Commissioner of Registration’s Office or from your local, municipal clerk, or from a Motor Vehicle Agency office
- Send the completed application to Commissioner of Registration, 465 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 417, Newark, NJ 07102, or present the application in person at the Commissioner of Registration’s Office.